Thursday, February 26, 2009

Excellent Wife Chapter 5

This week was chapter 5: A Wife's Understanding of Marriage, God's Purpose. This was a very convicting chapter. How greatly I long to have a marriage that honors God! I want a oneness and spiritual and physical bond that glorifies God! How humbling it has been since I started this book to realize that I'm not doing so good on being a submissive wife. I thought I was doing okay, but now I feel like it's a big weakness of mine. I have a tendency to look more at what Josh is doing wrong than myself. Ultimately, I need to work on myself in order to help us glorify God! I need to pray for sin to be revealed and repent of it. I need to hear someone tell me my sin and not be angry because of it. I need to respond with a grateful heart, confessing that sin, and turning from it!
God does His part by convicting, disciplining, and enabling me to grow and mature. I must do my part by growing in knowledge and understanding of Christ, pursuing love, setting my mind on the things of the Spirit, fleeing immorality/sin, and disciplining myself for the purpose of godliness. Wow! That's a tall order, but praise God he's patient and enables me!
The one thing that has stuck with me in this chapter is what I'll leave you with. It deals with our marriage as the act of mutual sanctification. Mutual sanctification is the process of helping each other become as much like the Lord Jesus Christ as possible. Thoughts?