Saturday, March 7, 2009

Evangelism

I'm so excited to be able to get back out on Saturday mornings for evangelism at church! We go door to door like the apostles did and share the gospel. Today was my first day out in a while. I was amazed at how much satan was trying to distract us and turn us off.

The first house was a catholic guy who was extremely nice, but extremely prideful. He immediately told us he's been to every catholic school (elementary-college) and we would be wasting our time with him. How sad! We got him to take a repentance track, but then he kept going off on "rabbit trails" trying to keep us at the door. He finally made the comment, "I guess I'm keeping you from doing your work," and we were happy he realized that. He made one comment that was true, but sad that I want to share. He said, "I'm shocked to see people out from the baptist churches sharing the gospel." How sad is that? It's so true though. Very few "churches" actually evangelize.

Then, we go to a few houses and leave tracts and the fourth house was interesting, oh my. Let's just say I was reading a sign about "Beware of an attack ferret" (never seen anything like that before) and then the ladies I went with started screaming. I was like, "Oh my, where's the ferret" and then I realized there were bees everywhere. Then, the guys opens the door and we realized we just blew that opportunity. We gave him a tract, urged him to read it and test his salvation and moved on. As we're walking away, one of the ladies says, "I think a bird just pooped on me." Oh yes, it was true. Disgusting! Another distraction :(

After cleaning that up we went back on our way and finally got to talk to a lady who was so soft. She was so excited we were there she was literally jumping up and down. I guess she's only had Jehova's witness' and mormons come to her door and she's tired of sharing the gospel with them. She was a pleasure to talk with and we ended the morning with her as it was time to meet back at church.

On our drive back to church, I was driving, the girl next to me starts screaming "get it off, get it off" and I turned and there was a 3-4 inch long bug (no clue what kind) crawling on her. She's leaning toward me to have me get it off and I'm like, "I'm gonna wreck the car if that thing jumps on me." It finally got off and we made it safe back to church.

Let's just say today was one day I will never forget. I was completely in shock at how many attempts satan made to ruin our day and us trying to serve/glorify God. Praise the Lord we went and stuck with it, though! I can't wait to see what happens next Saturday :)